The stories are all in for Volume 1 of the Worlds Enough anthology series, with Fantastic Defenders clocking in at a highly respectable 88K words. Now that the stories are off to the copyeditor for final revisions, we thought it would be interesting to share the back cover blurb for the volume:
YOU CAN’T KEEP A GOOD HERO DOWN
Across astounding and magical worlds, five heroes step forward to defend against fantastic threats:
- A sorceress in a besieged city faces a malignant force even more dangerous than the city’s would-be conquerors.
- An unassuming bureaucrat stumbles upon a threat to a vast empire and deals with it in his own inimitable fashion.
- A resourceful bodyguard for an infant princess, trapped and surrounded by merciless assassins, finds a unique way to hold them at bay.
- A mage press-ganged into the Royal Navy finds himself volunteered for a dangerous, secret mission on foreign soil.
- A disgraced royal guardian who failed in protecting his king hunts down those who cost him his honor.
These are…the Fantastic Defenders!